I know - this sounds a bit like an oxymoron but when I talk about sleeping I am talking about us being asleep to the higher powers that be. We have been told since we were little that dreaming is a problem and that we need to set our expectations low so that we are not disappointed when we don't meet them. We get whacked on the hand when we drift off in class dreaming of that next great big thing that is going to happen in our life. Well this has to stop now and we need to start promoting not only our kids to dream but also us, as adults. It is time to stop lowering your expectations just because you are afraid you won't meet them. Remember that you will still be further ahead if you dreamt and got halfway there than you would if you never dreamt at all.
Impossible is Just a Word
Everyone, at some point in his or her life, has dreamt of being somebody special and somebody influential. Who hasn't fantasized about being the one who hits the game-winning homer? Who hasn't dreamt of being the homecoming queen? And how many times have we dreamt of being rich, or successful, or happy with our relationships?
Often, we dream big dreams and have great aspirations. Unfortunately, as I mentioned our dreams remain just that – dreams. And our aspirations begin to collect dust in our attic. Instead of experiencing the exciting adventures that we are supposed to be experiencing in this life, we begin to live a mundane existence of going to work, coming home, watching TV and going to sleep, only to wake up the next morning to exactly the same thing.
At this point we are barely existing and have given up hope of ever really working towards our passions and our purpose. In fact, we don't even know what our passion and our purpose is. But if you dig deep and believe that nothing is impossible, you will find that missing piece.
Remember that life could be so much better, if only we learned to aim higher
When we use the term impossible it makes setting goals very difficult. You may find yourself hung up thinking thoughts like "I can't do this", "It's too hard" or "It is way too impossible and it won't work". Do any of these sound familiar. Now if everyone thought that, there would be no inventions, no innovations, and no breakthroughs in human accomplishment.
Remember that scientists were baffled when they took a look at the humble bumblebee. Theoretically, they said, it was impossible for the bumblebee to fly. Unfortunately for the bumble bee no one had told it so. So it begins to fly. Nobody ever thought that somebody would walk on the moon or that mail would be able to be sent from one part of the world to the other. Nobody ever thought we would be able to inspire others, create summits, host podcasts and so much more just because we can now connect with people all over the world thanks for platforms like zoom.
On the other hand, maybe you dream big dreams but don't take action...
If you are one that dreams big dreams, I applaud you. However, you need to understand that these dreams will become broken dreams and tattered aspirations if you do not act on them. Do not limit yourself with self doubt and self-limiting assumptions and instead take action that will move you one step closer to your ultimate dream.
TIME FOR YOU TO PUT THIS INTO PRACTICE...
- Take a piece of paper and write down some goals in your life.
- Under one header, list down the things ‘you know you can do’.
- Under another header, write down the things ‘you might be able to do.’
- And under one more, list the things that that are ‘impossible for you to do.’
- Look at all the headers every day and strive to accomplish the goals that are under the 'you know you can do' heading. This gives you the confidence of knowing you are able to reach your goals.
- Once all of those goals are completed, start working on the goals under 'you might be able to do'. As they are accomplished tick them off and by now you will find your confidence in yourself and your ability to reach goals will be heightened substantially.
- Now as you look at the ones that seemed impossible you will realise that they are within your reach. Your mindset has now changed and has become easier to accomplish. Now you know that nothing is impossible.
As you practice this activity, DO NOT limit your imagination. Aim high and start working towards that goal little by little, but don't make it totally unrealistic or you may never work towards it.
So dream on, my friend! Don’t get caught up with your perceived limitations, think big and work hard to attain those dreams. As you step up the ladder of progress, you will find out that which you thought was impossible is now completely possible.